4 Day Discovery Tour
Discover Hawke's Bay with this scenic 4 day, 3 night cycle tour with an optional visit to the Cape Kidnappers gannet colony
- Ahuriri to Havelock North
via the Cape Coast – 40kms – Overnight Havelock North
- Havelock North to Cape Kidnappers return – spend some time at Cape Kidnappers – see the iconic gannet colony or do an extra long lunch at a winery – 24km – Overnight Havelock North
- Havelock North to Taradale
via the River Trails and Wineries – 35-50 kms – Overnight Taradale
- Taradale to Ahuriri
via Puketapu and the Estuary Trail – 35-50kms
You will really enjoy riding and seeing the highlights of Hawke’s Bay on our 4 day tour around our easy, flat cycle trails. You will see stunning scenery, visit acclaimed wineries, plus have the option to include extras like a Cape Kidnappers Gannet Tour, luxury accommodation or a special night out at a 5 star restaurant.
We make it really easy to get what you want from your cycle tour, flexibility is key. For example, you can choose the distance you ride each day – if you want a pick-up from us to get to your accommodation quicker we can do that, just book it in as an optional extra. If you want an e-bike to ride, no worries we have them available! We also have 3 different levels of great accommodation to choose from, making your tour the price-point you want.
Ride an E-Bike – HIRE SPECIAL on NOW…FREE for August and September, HALF PRICE for October and November. Normally $50pp per day.
DAY BY DAY BRIEF:
Day 1: A day of diversity! From the Art Deco glamour of the Napier CBD to the moody coastline of Marine Parade and the mouths of the regions three rivers the scene is ever-changing. You will cycle past Black Barn, Te Mata Estate (stop for wine tasting) and the iconic Arataki Honey (NZ’s biggest manuka honey producer) and Origin Earth where you can taste artisan cheese to go with your wine. A great way to finish today is to head to one of the many renowned restaurants in Havelock North for a memorable dinner.
Day 2: You have options today:
1. Travel (cycle or get picked up from Havelock North) to Clifton and visit the iconic gannet colony with an Overland Gannet Tour from Clifton to Cape Kidnappers with Gannet Safaris (only available from 1 September- 30 April).
2. Cycle the Tukituki Loop past Craggy Range winery and along the great back country roads in the picturesque Tukituki Valley. On reaching Clifton, you can visit 3 amazing wineries at Te Awanga Estate, Clearview and Elephant Hill for lunch and/or wine tastings.
Day 3: Start the day with a ride through the city of Hastings before enjoying a pleasant amble through flat farmland to the world acclaimed Ngatarawa Gimblett Gravels appellation. There’s much to enjoy as you spend some time visiting the cellar doors of some of the regions finest wineries including Sileni Estates, Oak Estate, Trinity Hill and Te Awa.
OPTIONS FROM Te Awa:
1. Get back on your bike after lunch and cycle the Ngararuro/Tutaekuri River trails to your overnight stay in Taradale (30km from Te Awa winery)
2. Take a long lunch at Te Awa, and ask our shuttle to pick you up and transfer you to your Taradale accommodation ($25pp for the shuttle). Shuttle ride to Taradale to be booked with your tour.
Day 4: This morning is spent cycling the 20km ‘Puketapu Loop’, a favourite with visitors and locals alike (optional loop track). From Taradale, a visit to New Zealand’s oldest winery, The Mission Estate, is then a ‘must do’ before joining the Ahuriri Estuary Trail and cycling through through a unique wildlife sanctuary. As you cycle, reflect on the fact that before the big earthquake of 1931 all this area was a vast tidal inlet encompassing thousands of hectares of wetland, marshes and mud banks. The final part of the route returns you to the coast, passing the popular surf beach of Westshore and back to your start point in Ahuriri.
Tour price from $900 per person (Final price depends on dates and accommodation choice).
Subject to terms and conditions. Price based on 2 people with double accommodation. NB: surcharge for twin share and single room.
Choose from the following accommodation levels:
Standard Motor Lodge $900 per person
Superior boutique hotel/B&B $1050 per person
Luxury $350-550/room – please contact us for options!
Quality ‘E’ Bikes available $50pp per day.